Food fraud!

General discussion forum.
G Williams
On the Roost

Food fraud!

Post by G Williams » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:27 am

I used to wonder what all the fuss was about olive oil; until I had some fresh stuff.

Bayvistafarm
Chatty Hen

Food fraud!

Post by Bayvistafarm » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:34 am

Hmmm, probably thats why I can't even find the big deal in the crap I've been buying.

Ontario Chick
Poultry Guru
Answers: 2

Food fraud!

Post by Ontario Chick » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:46 am

Started to buy Mayo made with Olive oil when it became available, reasoning that at least Olive trees aren't genetically modified YET!
Then noticed that the picture of olives disappeared from the label, still says Olive Oil Mayonnaise.
Back to magnifying glass......
INGREDIENTS - Canola & Olive Oil....... :(

Jaye
Poultry Guru - chick level
Answers: 3

Food fraud!

Post by Jaye » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:16 am

I did the same thing as you, OC, and made the same discovery. That's why I don't buy store-bought any more; I just make my own when I need it. It only takes a minute or so with my immersion blender, and I make it in small quantities. It usually lasts about a week. Sometimes I add a bit of whey to it if I've just made yoghurt to make lacto-fermented mayo. It really doesn't noticeably change the taste and it lasts much longer in the fridge than unfermented mayo does - at least two or three weeks.
RIP Scooby, AKA Awesome Dog. Too well loved to ever be forgotten. "Sometime in June", 2005 - January 24, 2017.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Food fraud!

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:54 pm

Alcohol Fraud! Debating to start a new thread. When I want a drink (we don't keep anything in the house as it disappears) I like everything and fraud is big here. The latest that blew my gasket was Strongbow (and other) ciders. We noticed the taste was way off last summer when we bought a couple of cans and noticed it coincided with the "New" label. We've bought this stuff for years and the ingredients used to be cider. Now its : cider, water sugar. So cider is now popular but so popular that now its a "cider drink" and we noticed lots of new names including Molson Canadian Cider and others. So we look closer at the label, and many "ciders" are frauds as they contain water and sugar.
I recommend : Prince Edward County has "County Cider" with a great mix of products, and there"s two from near Collingwood one of which is Thornbury, a legit and tasty product on the shelf at LCBO. The other cider (also good) is Coffin Ridge but not in stock other than at the winery.
To make a great cider you need a mix of apples: tart, sweet, and "aroma" apples. Given that the apples can have blemishes and be twisted and ugly: cider apples are closer to being organic.
Lets all raise a pint.... :beer:
Last edited by baronrenfrew on Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

The Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's greatest swordsmen

Robbie
Head Chicken
Answers: 1

Food fraud!

Post by Robbie » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:59 pm

Funny I just tried some pear cider, Grower's- it's fruity like pop. They have added extra sugar to it. Kinda disapointed- Meh. Probably won't buy it again.
:sFun_mornincoffee:

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Food fraud!

Post by Brebis » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:28 pm

I really enjoy the County Cider Company's Waupoos Cider (on tap or in bottles) and especially their new Pear Cider. Highly recommend them. They also do a line of Ciders with other fruits in them too which are really nice in the summer. If anyone is travelling to the County, it's a great place to visit-great view down to the lake a a nice restaurant.
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Food fraud!

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:37 pm

Its a good thing I don't live in PEC. If I did I'd have to drink and drive like my grandpa. You stagger outside, into your vehicle, slap the horse and wake up at home.
Diligently follow the path of two swords as one. Percieve that which the eye cannot see. Seek the truth in all things. Do not engage in useless activity.

Brebis
Chatty Hen

Food fraud!

Post by Brebis » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:39 pm

I trust the horse more than a drunk driver in a car any day!!
Retired dairy shepherd and cheesemaker and former keeper of a menagerie of chickens and Pencilled Turkeys, now owned by three cats and a border collie x Australian shepherd who keeps me fit and on my toes!

baronrenfrew
Stringy Old Chicken

Food fraud!

Post by baronrenfrew » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:44 pm

Agreed: but now the robots are coming...

Return to “Around the Waterer”